Nonni’s Agnolotti with Butter and Rosemary Sauce
Light Out of Darkness
When Nonni cooked a meal for Jamie in Chapter 15 of Light Out of Darkness, she made Agnolotti with Butter and Rosemary Sauce, a typical dish found in the Piedmont region of Italy. You can find the recipe at the William-Sonoma website at http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/agnolotti-with-brown-butter-and-rosemary.html (Agnolotti are ravioli-type meat-based filled pasta.)
This is a recipe I found online back in 1996. If you love tiramisu, you will absolutely love this one and never look for another one.
- 5 eggs-separated and whipped to stiff peaks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur
- ¾ cup brewed espresso
- 3 tablespoon rum or frangelica (I use rum)
- 30 ladyfingers
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate grated
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until pale yellow. Beat in mascarpone and heavy cream. Stir in liqueur; fold in whipped egg whites. Mix espresso and rum in a small bowl. Brush onto lady fingers laid out in single layer in a 10 X 10 in. glass pan. Pour half of mascarpone mixture onto lined plate. Sprinkle half the grated chocolate. Arrange another single layer of ladyfingers over the mascarpone mixture, brush coffee mixture on those. Pour in remaining mascarpone mixture over the top layer. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 6 hours or more, preferably overnight.
- Do not use grocery store bakery sponge ladyfingers. They do not have the right texture. You must use authentically made dry Italian ladyfingers that snap when you break them. I recommend these brands: Balocco Savoirdi, Vincenzovo, and Bonomi.
- For espresso, I substitute a strong French-press coffee undiluted with water.
- You can freeze the leftover. When thawed, it tastes just like the first day you made it.
- I use grated Ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet chocolate between layers and the unsweetened cocoa sprinkled on top.
- I always chill overnight for best results.